Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Well an update to my previous post

I broke down and called the obgyn's office. It was a no go. My ob is in a solo practice. Has two midwives and a NP. I am not really comfortable seeing the NP or the midwives. I feel they are uncomfortable seeing me. Especially when pregnant. I called and talked with the nurse. She was nice but she was one that I have run into problems with before. Last August before I had a lap, I called for a refill of Darvocet. She totally went off on me when I called. Said I didn't need an appt. That I had just seen the dr two weeks before and my followup was for 4 months not two weeks. How many sample packs did he give me, 4, well that's when he wanted you back. Why did you make this appt? Um NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Told me that even if there was someone who could write the rx (doc was out of town), no one there would. Now, I had never abused the Darvocet that I was given. I took it exactly as my ob prescribed. He never wrote for refills so I had to call in each month. Please, who exactly gets high off of 15 darvocet a month. I was extremely upset because I was in pain and I was treated horribly by her. She used to be my favorite nurse when I was pregnant and well she fell off that pedestal when this happened. In case any one is wondering, I had the appt because I discovered I had an option of having a lap. The appt was to discuss with my dr if he would do it. He did. Anyway, by the time I picked my daughter up from daycare, I was doubled over from pain and in tears. They called dh on his cell phone and off we went to the ER where I had a compassionate nurse.

Which leads us to yesterday. I called the office and the receptionist said that he was booked and going out of town. She said I am going to let you talk to the nurse and I got this nurse again. While she was nice on the phone. She listened to the whole story. Then she told me that it was my body resetting itself, track the symptoms, and if it was still a problem next month call in a month and she would get me a spot. WTH??????? You have a patient call and say she has had severe pelvic/abdominal pain that started all of a sudden 5 days prior, with a small gush of vaginal bleeding, followed by constant lower right back and lower right pelvic pain that required lortab and motrin round the clock. Also bright red to brown to no bleeding and back again the same way? Realize I havn't had this pain since October when I had a lap. You tell them to call back in JUNE????

By the time I was on my way home from work I was in tears and doubled over. I really did not want to visit the ER. They would put me through a zillion tests and certainly a pelvic exam (God I hate those). So I broke down and called my pcp (Best damn doc), they got me in right away. Cried even harder in her exam room when she pushed on my stomach. She said PE Mommy, I am extremely worried that you have appendicitis and you need to get the tests to rule it out. You need to go to the ER. Which made me cry harder. She said I might need surgery. She called the Chief of Emergency Medicine. Told him she thought I had appendicitis and was sending me over. She told him I also had pelvic issues that this could be but do not do anything with that till he ruled out appendicitis. She promised me. She said that it was a) appendicitis B) ruptured ovarian cyst C) endo/adhesions are back. She said if it was GYN that she would be personally calling my obgyn so I could be seen.

Off to the ER. They gave me two bags of fluid, some dilaudid, and a bag of Reglan. They ran a cat scan and blood tests (only got two tubes). My tests came back normal. I did get a pelvic exam. GRRRRRRR. The dr said that they thought because of the way this presented that I had ruptured an ovarian cyst. The other possibility was that my previous problems were back. So they sent me home on Lortab, motrin, and reglan. I was told to follow up with my obgyn in 1-2 days for a re-evaluation.

Called the obgyn's office today. Got the SAME nurse. Darn. She was nice again, but she was like well who told you it was a ruptured cyst. Umm two er drs (one being chief of emergency medicine!) and my pcp. Well I have your cat scan. It's normal. I said yes and all the drs told me that it may not show up on cat scan which is one of the reasons they wanted me to follow up with my obgyn. They said that he will probably send me for an US. Oh. Well are you feeling better. Some but it is still bad. She really did not want to give me an appt. EVEN THOUGH THREE DRS SAID I NEEDED ONE. She finally gave me an appt. Unfortunately as crappy as I feel, I still have to work. I HAVE to be in a city three hours away on Thurday. NO OPTIONS cause this is for work. I was wondering how I was going to swing that if I had to have an appy. So I told her no, I am going to be in XXXX on that day. Could tell she was getting mad that I could go to XXXX but needed an emergency appt. (In case you are wondering I typically still go to work if I am dying. Had knee surgery, was supposed to be off work 6-8 weeks. I went back after a week with the bandages still on and bleeding. When I was pregnant, I kept working till my obgyn kicked up the bp meds so high that I couldn't function and I had to take off. Just going to his office left me exhausted for hours and he is less than a mile away!)Friday morning, no I don't have leave, it needs to be in the afternoon. Fine 145. SOLD.

What the heck is her problem? I am so upset with this nurse. One nurse could make me change practices if there was another practice to go to in town. But the nearest next practice is an hour away. I really dislike university hospitals. I have no desire to have a dr unfamiliar to me dealing with me. I have a hard time trusting doctors as it is. I will be talking to my dr about this. I wonder if he knows about the bully on the nurse line. She didn't sound surprised that I went to the ER. I told her that Dr. L sent me. This is the second time that she has done this with me and I want it to stop. I am going to ask my dr if there is a reason that I am not allowed an appt that I don't know about. God I hate calling the office. It doesn't make sense. My ob says call me anytime for any issues, questions, concerns and this nurse is like Ft Knox. If I call and say hey I need an appt, it should be when is a good time. Not call me back in FREAKING June. How dare she try and diagnose me over the phone. My pcp said that it was a crap response. The ER dr raised his eyebrows. BOTH were not happy that I was told to wait a month and call. They said a month was not appropriate and neither was what this nurse did either.

So I have an appt on Friday. Well see what happens.

No comments: